Our History

Rarely can you find cobbled roads and a 12th Century Church with village stocks only 2 miles from a major manufacturing centre: this describes the village of Grappenhall or Gropenhole as written in the Domesday Book 1068 AD. The Church, dedicated to St Wilfrid’s dates from 1120 and although largely rebuilt in 1530, still retains part of the original south wall. Inside can be seen a Norman font, an ancient 13th Century oak chest and some lovely 14th Century glass.

The Old Rectory fell into disrepair in the mid 19th Century and the Rector Thomas Greenall moved to the present rectory in 1855. During major restoration work in 1982, the present owners discovered a tunnel leading to the church and the Cruck Frame beams uncovered were found to date The Old Rectory to the 15th Century. The Old Building witnessed prosperity when the Bridgewater Canal was constructed in 1759. It brought trades such as snuff making and leather tanning to its banks.

It is ironic, that the old canal with its tiny hump back bridges and watery embrace, should help to isolate the village, since the invention of modern transport, allowing Grappenhall to retain its Olde Worlde charm.